▼

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Beginning a New Semester & Artisan Bread







Different Flours, Class Day 1

Another semester has begun.  And a new series of courses starts.  One of the classes I've been most excited about (although really I'm excited about almost all my classes) is Artisan Bread, taught by Chef Jeff.


Chef with the couche and peel 

I was unexpectedly bitten by the yeast bug last semester with Laminated Doughs and Pastries (I always thought I was more of a cakes and desserts person, up until that point).  And while croissants and viennoiserie still are most interesting to me, I'm still very intrigued by Artisan Bread and am very excited to learn everything I can in class.



Straight-method Baguettes, Class Day 1


Baguettes are the absolute backbone of our class.  We make them every single class.  Both our midterm and finals involve them. We'll try various methods and make many, many mistakes along the way.....  



This is one of the hardest parts.... the "stippling" 


See, the only real way of learning baguettes (and really, artisan bread) is by doing and practicing.  Mistakes are good, if you can learn from them.  I've already made many many mistakes, but each time I do, I now know what not to do in the future.




Scaling the proper temperature water



Baguettes may look simple, but that doesn't mean they're easy.   No fussy ingredients involved, just flour, salt, yeast and water; however, their are still many other factors involved.   Is the dough mixed properly? How is it treated during the proofing process.  Is it shaped correctly?  Are the stipples the right angle, depth, placement, and number?  Is it baked properly? And more..... Whew!  Lots to have running through your head during class..... 



Nice baguettes waiting in the couche


Even though I've only had class twice, I've still learned tremendous amounts and my class has produced some tremendous product! 


We've made straight baguettes.....





And wonderful Basil Garlic Rustic Rolls






And overnight Baguettes



And Seeded Epis (side note: I use to LOVE selling these at Dakota Harvest.... they're just neat) 





And Biga Baguettes (baguettes made with an Italian-style preferment)









And Lemon Poppyseed Quick Bread





I've got tons more pictures up on Flickr as well.  I'm so excited to see what other exciting (and incredibly delicious) things we'll be making!  Stay tuned for more exciting bread posts. 

7 comments:

  1. oh! i love this!!! :) and the new layout is LOVELY! :) all those carbs... my butt is bigger just thinking about all the happy tastebud activity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bread - this looks like the post delicious course to do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 야간 시간대의 근무를 선호하거나 낮에 다른 일정이 있는 분들에게 좋은 선택지가 될 수 있겠어요. 밤알바 시간 활용의 폭을 넓혀주는 장점이 있고, 근무 장소와 조건을 미리 확인하면 보다 안정적으로 일정을 계획할 수 있다는 점도 마음에 듭니다.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 시간 관리가 중요한 직장인에게는 이용 과정이 간편한 서비스가 도움이 된다고 생각합니다. 평택출장마사지 관련 내용을 보니 이동 시간을 줄이면서 개인 일정에 맞춰 관리받을 수 있어 효율적인 휴식 방법으로 활용하기 좋을 것 같습니다.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 상품권은 선물용으로 편리하지만 실제 사용 빈도가 낮은 종류는 보관만 하게 되는 경우가 많습니다. 상품권매입 알아보면 보유 상품권을 정리하는 방법을 확인할 수 있어 좋네요. 이용 전 조건과 절차를 꼼꼼하게 살펴보면 더욱 편리하게 활용할 수 있습니다.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 시간 활용을 효율적으로 하고 싶다면 이동 시간을 줄이는 것도 중요한 부분입니다. 수원출장마사지 서비스는 원하는 장소에서 이용할 수 있어 휴식 계획을 세우기 편리합니다. 바쁜 일정 속에서도 필요한 시간을 확보하고 편안한 환경에서 재충전할 수 있다는 점이 실용적인 장점으로 느껴집니다.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 활동량이 많은 날이나 장시간 업무로 몸이 지친 날 편안하게 쉬는 시간이 중요하다고 느낍니다. 출장마사지 익숙한 공간에서 받을 수 있어 심리적으로도 편안하고, 이동 부담을 줄이면서 휴식 시간을 효율적으로 활용할 수 있다는 장점이 있습니다.

    ReplyDelete