Sunday, October 13, 2013

Waffle Weekend: Spiced Pumpkin Waffle Doughnuts (GF)



We have reached the time of year where everything turns to pumpkin.  Sweet pumpkin desserts. Savory pumpkin dishes. Drinkable pumpkin. Pumpkin decor.  (if you don’t believe me, just check Pinterest or Instagram).


Personally, I’ve been craving pumpkin doughnuts. And pumpkin spice lattes (but that will come in a future post....).  Sadly, I have not found too many gluten free pumpkin options, but that means I simply must make something myself!


Three years ago, I fried pumpkin spice cake doughnuts  for a Daring Bakers challenge.  I liked the recipe so much that I included it in the doughnut day of Laminated Doughs when I taught that class at the Culinary Institute of Charleston.


I’ve been thinking about those doughnuts lately, but I haven’t been so keen on the frying part.  While I don’t mind frying (since I conquered my fear of frying), but I do hate the mess it makes & how the smell of oil permeates our small open concept apartment.  And opening the windows is not an option since temperatures are still in the upper 90s....


Remembering the waffle doughnut method I concocted early last summer, I decided to turn the fried cake doughnuts into waffle doughnuts!  Less messy and smelly yet still delicious.  They’re even better when they're dunked in maple glaze & paired with a homemade pumpkin spice latte :)



Pumpkin Spice Waffle Doughnuts 
adapted from here

14.9 oz / 3.5 c Jeanne's GF AP Flour Mix (or use AP flour, if you're not GF) 
4 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbl Cinnamon
1 tsp Ginger
0.5 tsp Baking Soda
0.5 tsp Nutmeg, freshly grated if possible
pinch Cloves

3 Tbl Butter 
1 c Sugar

1 ea Egg
2 ea Yolks
1 tspVanilla

1/2 c + 1 Tbl Buttermilk
8.7 oz / 244 g / 1 c Canned Pumpkin 

  1.  In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside. 
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with the sugar on low speed--the mixture will be lumpy. 
  3. Add the egg & yolks, one at a time, mixing on low.  Scrape down the sides. 
  4. Add the buttermilk, mixing on low. Add the pumpkin, mixing on low. 
  5. Add the dry ingredients in two batches. 
  6. Let the batter rest while the waffle iron preheats. If you can, set the temperature to medium high. 
  7. Drop heaping tablespoons of batter onto the waffle iron. Cook until very lightly browned
  8. Cool slightly. Glaze, if desired. These waffle doughnuts are best consumed the day they are made. 


Maple Glaze
8 oz, 2 c Powdered Sugar
4 Tbl Milk
4 Tbl Real Maple Syrup
sprinkle of Cinnamon  & freshly grated Nutmeg 

  1.  Sift the sugar into a small bowl. Whisk in the milk & maple syrup. 
  2. Add the cinnamon & nutmeg. 
  3. Use immediately, or cover & refrigerate until ready to use.  


6 comments:

  1. Laura,

    Hey not sure if you remember me from Grand Forks or not, but I stumbled on your blog by way of Pintrest. I wanted to let you know your work is absolutely fantastic. Just as I remember from Grand Forks your photography is excellent and your recipes sound tasty! I can't wait to try some out. I've actually recently started a food blog of my own and would love some tips if you have any to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Michelle! I do remember you :) Thanks for the kind words. As far as advice goes on food blogging, at this point, I'm just blogging for fun... But I guess my biggest advice is to work with natural light for photographing food & to make things you like. Best of luck! I'll be checking out your blog too :)

      Delete
  2. Lol holy cow are we feeding an army?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol holy cow are we feeding an army?

    ReplyDelete